Having an ecommerce store as a subdomain of your main website is a good idea for several reasons:
- First of all, it separates your primary business into obvious sections. While you may want to have one that features blogs posts, stories and business objectives, I feel it may be a good idea to have a separate one for products and promotions.
- Also, some prospective clients and customers may want to get an overall feel of what you’re about before deciding on a purchase, so having a subdomain may be the ticket.
- Over the years, I’ve come to love the Shopify platform for hosting products. It is simple, easy to use and designed for ecommerce, whereas WordPress was initially designed for blogging.
- I’ve heard that Shopify stores may not rank as well as WordPress in the search engines simply because there are many businesses using the same Themes and though I am unsure if this is true, I know that most websites online today were built with WordPress templates and therefor rank very well in online search.
- Both have excellent technical support and helpful communities built around their products designed for two different spectrums of the internet world.
- Having my primary domain using WordPress just makes sense. It has a diverse selection of Themes, a massive community of active, awesome bloggers and articles written about the products can then drive traffic to the product itself.
- Adding a store as a subdomain just doubled the size of my website content.
- Shopify has come a long way in the past several years and having a url like shop.worleystudios.com just sounded like a brilliant idea. Don’t you think?
Anyway, here’s how I quickly made my Shopify store into my WordPress site subdomain:
While in your WordPress admin, assuming you have your primary domain configured on WordPress, click on domains and then click on the domain for your website like in the example below.
Now click on “DNS Records”
Now that you’ve opened up your DNS Records, under “Type” it should be left to A. Where it says “enter subdomain” type in the name of your subdomain. For example, I entered “shop” so that my subdomain would be shop.worleystudios.com
Then, just below, you’ll add your Shopify ip address.
Then in your Shopify admin, click on “Online Store” and “Domains”. Under “Primary Domain” is where you’ll put your new url. ie: shop.worleystudios.com
Once you’ve updated your settings, you’re done!
Note: that this change may take a short while to populate.
Anyway, I hope this article gave you some ideas. Tell me what you think in the comments below. Thanks for popping by ;-}